Applying for Home Ownership

Completing an Application

You will only complete an application if you have been selected in a Weighted Drawing to purchase an Affordable or Workforce housing unit, or if you seek to purchase an Attainable home. The application must include information for your entire household. You can get an application packet a the Housing Department office or click here to print the documents you will need.

Application Checklist

The checklist will help you to know the additional items that you need to submit to the Housing Department with your application form.

Homebuyer Education

At least one person in your household must complete the Homebuyer Education Course before you can enter a Weighted Drawing for an Affordable or Workforce home. A copy of the certificate is required at the time of drawing entry. The course is also required if you are purchasing an Attainable home and should be submitted with your application.


Our application form asks for your household's contact information, employment history, and income and asset information. There is an authorization to release information that you and co-applicants will sign to allow us to verify your household's financial and employment history. There is also a certification form that will need to be signed and notarized.

Employment Affidavits

The Housing Department will review affidavits from your employer(s) past and present to verify your work history. You will receive one entry (point) in the Weighted Drawing for each full year you have worked in Teton County (minimum of 1,560 hours annually). The form must be completed in its entirety by your employer or past employer, signed and notarized

Tax Information

Include your W2s and tax returns from the past two years. If you are self-employed, you will submit W2s, 1099s and personal/business tax returns from the past three years. Self employed households will also need to submit a year to date profit and loss and a balance sheet for your business. The Housing Department will accept transcripts of your taxes which you can get through the Internal Revenue Service's website, or call 800-829-1040 to talk to a person who will fax them to you.

Account Statements

You will supply your most recent statements for all retirement accounts, stocks, bonds, or other investments. You can submit an internet print-out as a statement.

U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident

You will need to provide verification that you are either a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident. This can be in the form of a passport, birth certificate, or green card.

Additional Considerations & Requirements

If you receive child support, disability, workman's comp or other types of income, you will submit documentation for that income (such as a copy of a divorce settlement). Since each family's situation is different, there may be other information to submit.