Applying for a Home

Completing an Application

You fill out an application only after you are selected to purchase an affordable or employment-based home, or if you seek to purchase an attainable home. The application must include information for your entire household. You can get an application packet at the Housing Department office or go here to (Link)print the packet. It includes:

Application Checklist

This checklist will help you to know the additional items that you need to submit to JTCAH with your application.

Homebuyer Education

Anyone who has not owned a home in the last three years must complete the homebuyer education course before they can enter a lottery or qualify for a home. If you are purchasing a home without a lottery, submit a copy of the Completion Certificate along with your application.


Our application form asks for your household’s contact information, employment history, and income and asset information. There is an authorization to release information that you and co-applicants will sign to allow us to verify your household’s financial and employment history. There is also a certification form that will need to be notarized.

Employer Affidavits

The Housing Department will review affidavits from your employer(s) to verify your work history. If you have worked in Teton County for at least four years and want preference in a lottery, you will submit affidavits that document all the work history from every employer during that four years. Your employer will sign the form in front of a notary and give it to you to submit with your application. Notaries are available in the Housing Department office. Please note, we are no longer accepting faxed Affidavits of Employment.

Tax Information

Include your W2s and tax returns from the past two years. If you are self-employed, you’ll submit W2s, 1099s and business tax returns from  the past three years. Self employed households will also need to submit a  year to date profit and loss and a balance sheet for your business. The Housing Department will accept transcripts of your taxes which you can get through the Internal Revenue Service’s website, or call 800-829-1040 to talk to a person who will fax them to you.

Account Statements

You will supply your most recent statements for all retirement accounts, stocks, bonds, or other investments. You can submit an internet print-out as a statement.

U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident

You will need to provide verification that you are either a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident. This can be in the form of a passport, birth certificate, or green card. 

Additional Considerations & Requirements

If you receive child support, disability, workman’s comp or other types of income, you will submit documentation for that income (such as a copy of a divorce decree). Since each family’s situation is different, there may be other information to submit.